Monday, September 3, 2012

Pete the Cat

We've got Pete the Cat Fever in Kindergarten at William Holliday!  This past week, Pete has grooved his way into our hearts!  





Mrs. Skillern reading Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes
The Kindergarten students learned that no matter what they do all day they should be "rocking in their school shoes!"
Click the link below to hear:   

Click the link below to see a short clip of the book on YouTube:
Pete the Cat Rocking in His School Shoes Video

Here's our Pete the Cat I drew and painted for the Hallway outside of our classroom.









On Tuesday, Mrs. Brown, our superintendent, came and read Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons.   The students learned that "although 'buttons' may come and go, we shouldn't get upset and we should keep on singing."

Click the link below to hear:
Audio of Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons performed by author Eric Litwin

Click the link below to see a short clip of Pete's Groovy Buttons on YouTube:
Video of Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons


I was able to share the book Pete the Cat I love My White Shoes.

Click the link below to hear:
Audio of Pete the Cat I Love my White Shoes performed by author Eric Litwin

Click the link below to see a live performance by Eric Litwin of Pete the Cat I love My White Shoes  on YouTube:
Video of Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes


The original idea for this project came from Deanna Jump's Blogspot, and I added a few of my own twists to the project.  You can see Deanna's projects by clicking: Here


Here's a sample of a project we made for Pete the Cat I Love my White Shoes.  Students did this project in in several steps over a couple of days.  

We made our Petes out of shapes after a review of the basic shapes in math.  Students had to listen and follow the directions about how to use each of the shapes that I had precut and prepackaged in a zipper bag for them.  I have them creative rein over the whiskers and shoes and encouraged them to put shoe laces on the shoes.

For the writing part of the project, students had to think about what Pete could have stepped in that would have turned their shoes the color they had made the previous day.  We did a shared writing on the page, and students created the drawing on the page.  

The next step of the project was to put the Petes and the papers on the yellow paper and then take the pieces that made the sentence about "I love my ____ shoes." and put them in order on the paper.


I love their expressions!

Look at Pete rocking these shoes!
They were so creative with what Pete stepped in to turn his shoes the different colors!
Here's an example of a math center for Pete the cat this week with patterning.  This activity is available at: Heidi's Songs
Here are 3 more centers featuring Pete the Cat this week.  On the left, is a book from Fran Kramer from Kindergarten Crayons, in the center from Heidi's Songs Coloring Pete's Shoes, and a Stamp the Letter to Match from Fran Kramer at Kindergarten Crayons.  Click below to visit her Blog.  I LOVE it!


Here's another great activity from Kindergarten Crayons!  The students built these sentences all by themselves using a pattern and clues and resources from around the room.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sweet shout outs. Now come over and grab a headband for your kiddos so they can keep walking along...
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran! Do you still have your Pete the Cat projects available???

      Delete
  2. Do you know the sizes of the pattern pieces for the Pete the Cat art project? Thanks!
    22.lrosloniec@nhamail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the cute sheet to add to the art project?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thank you for leaving your questions...I down loaded the writing sheet from Fran Kramer's Kindergarten Crayons Blog (she had a link to Teachers Pay Teachers) I tried to retrace it back from her blog to the TPT website, and I don't see it on there anymore. You may just want to email her, she is very nice and usually answers very quickly. The PDF is called Pete's New Story A Class Innovation. I didn't want to just email the PDF without her permission.

    The sizes of the pattern pieces are approximately: 4x4 inch blue square for the body, a blue circle with about 3.5 inch diameter for the head, legs are about 3 inches x 1 inch, tail is the same. I cut triangles: 3 blue triangles about 1 inch tall for ears and tail tip, and 1 inch yellow circles for eyes, 1/2 inch black circles for pupils, white triangle for nose about 3/4 inch tall, we used scraps for the shoes and whiskers. I used my Cricut to cut most of the pieces. I hope that helps! I wish it were more exact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you share her email please? Thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Fran left the first comment on this thread. If you click on her name, it gives a link to her email address. If you haven't checked out her blog, Kindergarten Crayons, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is THE cutest Pete the Cat ever and I would be so grateful to please get your pattern and the writing sheet! I tried going to Deanna Jump's TPT and no luck to find Pete the Cat. Thank you so much for helping me!

    ReplyDelete