Friday, August 3, 2012

Paper Lantern Owls



This set of pictures is of the paper lantern owls I made this summer based off of some I saw on Pinterest and at the Teacher's Lounge in South County. The focus quality isn't that great. I'll take some better pictures with my D90 later.

Their main purpose is to hold the shape and color signs I use to call my table groups. I don't think the shapes are visible in any of the pictures.

I ordered the lanterns from Luna Bazaar. My intention was to make them with both the small globes and the long ones together. My original plan included a round head and long body piece. I should have ordered the small globe a size or two bigger. When I put them together, my owls looked like they had shrunken heads! So it was on to plan B. I made the small globes into little owls and attached the face pieces to the front of the long globe.

To make the details on my owls, I used various shapes that I cut out with my Cricut. I mainly used glue dots to attach the scrap book paper to the lanterns. I also bought several trims and ribbons to decorate the smaller owls and the large one over my desk. The owls are complete with wings, chest feathers, a beak, layered eyes with wiggly eyes on top, ears, tail feathers, and foam feet.

The tree the owls are landing on was made from crumpled brown bulletin board paper and the leaves are made from tissue paper Pom poms I purchased at Party City. They came in a pack of three. I cut them different sizes and thicknesses to give the leaves some variance in look.

The owls are hung from the ceiling with a combination of clear stretchy cord and ceiling clips.  The colored shapes were also cut with my Cricut.  I hung them by attaching ribbons on the inside of the owl to the shape I had cut and tied it all together.  The ribbon was slippery and to keep everything in place I use some of those mini "binder" clips with wings to hold the ribbon in place.










These owls have tulle, ribbon, and sequin details.

No comments:

Post a Comment