Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Kissing Hand introduction

The framework of the following activity is not my original idea, although many of the details, specifics to our school, and new materials are my creation.  Many Kindergarten teachers across the country have used this very same framework to begin their school years too.  I send my thanks out to the the many creative and vibrant teachers who shared what they have done in their classrooms and for the inspiration they have given me.

For the past two years, I have begun the new school year with one of my favorite books about starting school, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.  In this book, a raccoon named Chester is a little anxious and reluctant to start school.  He thinks about how much he will miss his mama and miss being at home.  Chester's mama comes up with a brilliant plan to help Chester make it through his nights at school.  She takes Chester's hand and spreads his fingers into a fan.  Then, Chester's mom plants a kiss on the inside of his palm.  The book says, "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand up his arm, and into his heart."  She reminds him that whenever he fells lonely at school, all he has to do is press his hand to his cheek and fell his mother's warm kiss.    As Chester leaves for school, he returns the kissing hand to her to keep her from getting lonely while he is at school. Say it with me, "Awwwwwww."


At the very end of the book, Chester has left our Kindergarten class a note.  The note is one of many in a series of clues that will lead the Kindergarten class on a "Gingerbread Man" type hunt around the school that serves the hidden purpose of taking the Kindergarten on a tour of the school and meeting some of the important people who will be part of their lives.  Chester visits the nurse, the cafeteria, the courtyard, the computer lab, the art room, the music room, the library, the dome (P.E.), and the office with the secretaries, principal, and dean of students.  The secretary is always my help and places foot prints from the office (our last stop) back to our classroom where the students find the Chester you see below and a basket of treats.  The years I don't have peanut allergies in my room I have her leave a Hershey kiss for each of the students on their desks, but when I have students with allergies, I have Chester leave Skittles for a "bright and colorful year." 

Students always wonder if Chester is really real or if I am pulling their legs!  They want to see the real Chester when we get back to the classroom, and are usually mildly disappointed when all we find is the paper version.  I tell them that Chester left us a picture that we can put on the tree on our "Rug Time" carpet area so we can always think of him when we see him each day.  I tell them that the real Chester could not stay at school because he has to get to bed so he can go to Kindergarten that night.  I tell them going to bed on time is important for being ready to learn at school each day.  Chester and his "schedule" is also a good connection to learning in upcoming weeks when we discuss nocturnal animals.

  • I purchased the books from www.Amazon.com
  • The clues and papers with Chester's foot prints were created using Microsoft Word and some free raccoon clip art I found on the Internet
  • The paper version of Chester was created using my Cricut Expression Machine with the Create a Critter cartridge and some chalk for the coloring.



The Kissing Hand book , A Pocket Full of Kisses book, our classroom Chester, and the clues he left for us to follow around the school.
Here's the note Chester Left inside our Kissing Hand Book.  It was the first clue on our school tour on the first day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment